So a couple has agreed to model for you. Great! Nervous? I bet. This image is from the first ever couple session I've ever done. I was so nervous that I surfed the internet for days looking for couple session tips. So now, I want to give back by giving my own version of couple session tips
1. Always begin with knowing your couple as a person. Means, you have to at least know enough about them to be called an acquaintance. This is important to do because you need them to open up to you in front of the camera. When they feel insecure or shy to you, it shows in the photo and the results won't be honest.
2. Capture how it feels, not how it looks. In couple shoot, mood or vibe become more important as ever. You don't need to always capture their face perfectly. It is okay to make it blurry, or silhouette, or from far away, because the most important thing is to capture their interaction and connection, and it is a very abstract concept.
3. Variations, variations, variations. Try to do as many angles as you can think of. Change locations. Give them different directions that makes them show different expression. There's so many different things you can try and play on. It is endless!
4. Make it less posing by giving them something to do. Instead of saying please sit down on that sofa and smile to each other, Ask them to make coffee, imagining that it is their normal morning and you are invisible. You are there to document their love, not them posing for you!
5. The series need to tell a story. It shouldn't be just random shoots of the couple, but something that they can look back 50 years later and remember the way they were.